do you remember how i was so stoked about going to this school this year? i was literally peeing my pants because i was so excited… well not literally but whatever and how my original reason for raising money was to go to this very prestigious school? and how hard i worked to get into it?
well i’ve never said anything about this before, but they completely cut me off. they stopped responding to my emails, even though i was accepted to the school.
and left me with no options for school this year.
why did they cut me off so suddenly you ask?
because i’m transgendered.
i fucking hate people.
WHOA WHAT. What school was this? Also what Leyla said, please sue them.
and whenever I see the response to someone licensing a manga or a series being OH NO WHY DID THEY DO THAT I LIKE MY FANSUBS/SCANLATIONS BETTER or BUT THEY ARE GOING TO BUTCHER THE DUB
it just makes my blood boil
Bitches I come from a time when you could buy Magic Knight Rayearth for $16.99 a volume, flipped, with ink that smudged if you barely touched it, binding that fell apart on just a few readings (and I’m not rough with books!), and Times New Roman typesetting. A single DVD cost $29.99 and FORGET Amazon discounts, it had three episodes on it, and a single season box set was $129.99 and may or may not have any special features. Hell, some of those didn’t even have chapter stops other than beginning of episode 1 -> beginning of episode 2. We also had VHS tapes. They had two or three episodes, your choice of sub or dub, and cost $20.
Things have changed, and overall? THINGS HAVE CHANGED FOR THE BETTER.
If you don’t like the dub, you don’t have to listen to it. It’s not like anything major anymore is dub-only; the last major dub-only title just got a release with subs on it too. And then there’s free legal streaming, holy shit. Some of the titles I saw before they were licensed came from VHS tapes that I obtained by sending a blank VHS tape and a self-addressed stamped envelope to a PO box as specified on a Geocities website, or I traded for tapes or digisubs on CD-R with friends at anime club. It was mindblowing when an OVA was available fansubbed in the same year it was originally released.
We used to sometimes watch raw VHS tapes from the Japanese video rental store without even understanding what they said just because it was the only way to see certain titles.
Now manga is significantly better AND cheaper (the only things coming close to the old price points are certain deluxe releases of Tezuka comics), DVDs are at a price that an anime fan from 2002 would fall over in a faint of happiness to see, dub acting is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER (because for every Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, there were about 40 dubs that were literally painful to watch), the answer to the sub vs dub war is “Whatever you want!”, you can watch some new series online the same day that they air in Japan without even having to pirate anything, importing merch or blurays is mindbogglingly easier, you can find even the shittiest shit fansubbed and a ton of niche shit gets scanlated (and if you never had to deal with scanlations as they were 10 years ago, you’re very lucky), and yet somehow there is even more whining.
Dear whiny new fans: GET THE FUCK OFF MY KAWAII ANIMU LAWN AND SHOW SOME GRATITUDE.
I remember watching gifs of Sailor Moon attacks from the later seasons in like 1999/2000 on fansites because I didn’t know any other way to see what they looked like…yep.
Day 05 – A book that makes you happy:Will Grayson, Will Grayson, John Green & David Levithan
This book is about two teenagers who both happen to be named Will Grayson, and the events that cause them to meet, among many other things. This book is pretty adorable and funny in general, and I read it in less than 24 hours if that says anything ‘cause normally I pace myself. Also one of the subplots involves the production of a musical based on the life of one of the main characters, and it is amazing.
My name is Kelly Schomburg, I’m the girl with the red hair in these pictures. I was protesting at the Occupy Wall Street march yesterday when I and several other women were sprayed with mace and subsequently arrested. Many have already seen the video, which has been spreading like wildfire over twitter, Facebook, tumblr, and other video feeds, along with hundreds of other photos and videos. This is my recount of what happened.
Here are the URLs that auto-complete when I type in these letters, due to a conversation between Sean and I.
ABCDEFGHIJ (Rofl wtf. Before it was removed, it was just the audio for “Judas”. Which I’ve maybe listened to four times.)
K (LOL I’m not actually a stalker, jsyk.)
LMNO (Oh whoa I haven’t checked this in awhile…)
P (AWWW YEEEEEAAA)
RSTUV (Probably from when I was going to get Dylan a pair for his birthday)
WXYZ (I’m so. Cool.)
This game is meant to be played when watching the Dub version because who the hell wants to read subtitles when they’re drunk? And more to the point I’ve focused it on the first season and first half of R because those are the only DVDs I own. Feel free to supplement your own rules if you’re watching a different version.
Everyone play along and post your increasingly drunken thoughts about the series.
* DRAIN if it’s fucking Molly getting attacked again (exception for the first episode)
* SIP every time you see stock footage (this includes Tuxedo Masks’s rose sinking into the floor; you can skip this rule if you’re not too fond of alcohol poisoning). TWO SIPS if it’s “Disguise Power”, though, because it’s cool and doesn’t get used nearly enough.
* SIP every time someone uses out-dated slang. TWO SIPS if it’s a word with “-meister” or “-osaurus” on the end. DRAIN if it’s not even a real word (wongo???).
* SIP every time someone is grossly OOC - Serena’s a total bitch, Amy acts boy-crazy, Mina is the responsible one, etc.
* DRAIN if someone’s attack name is totally different that episode for no reason.
* SIP every time Darien appears wearing a pink shirt or that terrible jogging mishap. If you want to play hard, SIP every time he wears his green blazer.
* SIP every time a Monster makes a truly awful pun regarding their design theme/the theme of the episode. TWO SIPS if Sailor Moon mentions it in her speech. THREE SIPS if it’s any of the other Scouts.
* SIP every time a character lets slip that the show takes place in Tokyo.
* If you really want to get drunk fast, SIP every time you see a Dub-only scene transition. Otherwise, just SIP every time it’s not actually transitioning anywhere (ie. it happens in the middle of a scene). TWO SIPS if it obscures something important.
* SIP every time it’s obvious that Japanese was poorly removed from the background.
* TWO SIPS every time there’s glaringly obvious Japanese that was left in.
* SIP every time Serena trips over something.
* For R: SIP every time Anne says some variation of “But Alan, if the tree dies, we die!”
* TWO SIPS every time Raye and Serena get into a fight that involves raspberries.
* SIP every time Serena is called “Meatball Head”, or some variant of. TWO SIPS if it’s not by Darien.
* SIP: “Moondusted!”
* TWO SIPS if you spot a reference to Sailor Moon or another series within the episode (eg. a Sailor V plush in the crane machine, or a poster with Wapiko on it). Doesn’t count if the characters acknowledge it (so, not for the Sailor V poster/game).
* SIP if Raye gets to use one of her seals.
* THREE SIPS if the girls get to kick ass without being transformed.
* SIP if Amy says something needlessly nerdy in an attempt to show that she is the “smart” one. TWO SIPS if it’s Melvin. THREE if the reference is merely “the Internet”.
* SIP for every panty shot that got by the censors. Awww yeaahhh.
* SIP every time Lita mentions someone (or… thing) reminds her of her “old boyfriend”. TWO SIPS if he mentions him by name (Kenny).
* TWO SIPS every time Serena and Mina do something in tandem.
* THREE SIPS every time someone gets a new item, attack or upgrade.
* SIP if her speech ends with “… and that means you!” instead of “I’ll punish you!”.
* THREE SIPS if the “Sailor Says…” segment includes footage that was cut from the actual episode.
* SIP every time Serena is referred to as the “leader” before she gets the Crescent Moon Wand.
* THREE SIPS every time Rini uses the Luna-P ball’s “Kitty Magic”.
* THREE SIPS if Tuxedo Masks’s speech doesn’t make a fucking lick of sense.
* THREE SIPS each time it’s painfully obvious that the scene has been edited - the frame freezes awkwardly, or they decide to recycle/reverse clips…
* THREE SIPS if the episode title has “Blues” in it.
* TWO SIPS if Sailor Moon’s speech is prompted by someone else asking, “Who are you??”.
* THREE SIPS each time you hear a proper song in English - stuff like “Rainy Day Man”, “My Only Love”, etc. This doesn’t include the opening at the beginning of the episode, but it does count if you hear it during the episode sung by the characters.
* You can skip this rule if you want, but SIP every time Princess Serena shows that she’s A LADY a Princess by not using a contraction (that means something like “it is” instead of “it’s”).
* For the later seasons, SIP every time you see “the gang” hanging out at the Crown Parlour (that’s the cafe part, not the arcade). Also SIP every time there’s a study session at Raye’s.
* DRAIN if a Scout other than Sailor Moon beats the MoTD.
That’s all I can think of for now. Some are pinched from various other Sailor Moon Drinking Games I found on the ‘net. If you have your own suggestions let me know through Asks, or post them and tag them with #Sailor Moon Drinking Game. Hopefully this will be fun.
This site is my ******* jam right now. I am absolutely loving the idea and execution. Essentially, you can either “check” your own baggage, or “carry” someone else’s. To “check” it, you anonymously write your problems and wait for a response, which comes in the form of a song and a small (optional) message. Or to carry it, you read someone’s problem, and choose a song you want to send them, along with some words of wisdom/positivity. I’ve just sent like 5 of them. I am LOVING this. I checked something as well, and can’t wait to see if I get a response. :)
Why is this so beautiful? ;_;
Ok this websites whole concept is really amazing (and hopefully it hasn’t been abused too much). I gave a bunch of people songs and encouragement (they can only get one song, so choose wisely!) and debated wether or not to check some baggage myself, but I’m really glad I did!
I put a little blurb up, and someone sent me the perfect song and it was such a “holy **** the internet can be so cool sometimes” moment. Whoever you are, anonymous songster, thank you!
I’ve been carrying stuff all morning. :D
I sort of really needed that. Hopefully my song won’t be lame, although really typing things out made me feel a lot better. Yayyy catharsis.
Day 04 – Favorite book of your favorite series:The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
Final climactic volume of HDM, so not really a surprise. Used to be my Favorite Book Ever, but that title has been passed on. Definite highlights are Mary hanging out with the mulefa, Lyra’s journey through Death, and Balthamos. And now I feel like re-reading it..
I’ve wanted to make a combination board/card game about Sailor Moon that could be played online, with real people. The unfortunate part is that I have no idea how I’d do that. I don’t really have any bias about how it would be set up - to have the entire game available as a flash game would be…
This sounds cool to me! And by all means post these cards you made. On a slightly helpful note, my roommates have played a variety of online card games and apparently aside from the Magic: the Gathering game on Steam, most of them are just kind of card databases + playing fields that don’t have game rules built into the system. :/
HDM has had a pretty big impact on my life. I remember the first time I read it I was about twelve, and was completely blown away by how carefully Pullman described Lyra’s alternate world, and his style of storytelling and description in general. It was the first time I had read a urban/dark fantasy series, and I feel like it’s definitely influenced how I write and make observations. It’s made me question a lot of my personal beliefs, (if you’re unfamiliar, Pullman’s known for being kind of a super atheist and it’s thoroughly reflected in the books) but in the long run I feel like that’s a credit to how powerful and well-written this series is.
Additionally an HDM forum was one of my first fandom experiences. THE MORE YOU KNOW.